Sunday, June 24, 2007

Duck...egg...sad...AGAIN

Well, we were so excited that we'd have some babies around here, but it is not to be. The dove and her babies met a tragic end. Culprit unknown. I came out to find masses of feathers and eggshells...dead babies (uneaten) and not much left of mom. It was sad. In K's immortal words.."dove"...eggs....sad.... Somehow I felt like I had let her down. We eyed each other daily and I think were reaching an understanding. Then I discovered mother duck in our front garden and I kept a wary eye on her and her eggs. She knew there was a predator in the area. She had built up her "barrier" of pinestraw to hide herself and her eggs, leaving only her beak protruding between the branches of the bush and never leaving. I was daring to be hopeful. But it was not to be. This morning mother is gone and there are more eggshells on the back porch....duck...eggs...sad...fade to black.. I don't think Keona actually believes eggs hatch anymore.

No comments: