Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Reading is.. Fun [or] Mental....


Keona is quite proud of himself this week. He'll tell you: he read an entire book by himself. Currently we are using the Bob Books. We're just taking it one sound at a time and working through them by going on our letter/word hunts around the city and using the Bob Books. I had thought of buying some big curriculum, but I'm not convinced of the necessity, so we're going to try this for a while. For backup, I do have a handbook called Phonics Pathways but so far haven't needed it. We'll just keep plugging along and make a change if we find our progress is not what we would like it to be.

There is so much sparkle and glitz involved in T.V. and computer, that I really hesitate to get curriculums with a lot of razz-ma-tazz to them. I really don't want him to depend on being entertained every time he sits down to learn something.

Our math curriculum, Math U See, is pretty basic as well and so far it's working. We have bricks to count with and a book for written work. The basic idea in the Primar is to build it, write it, and then say it. So far it has been nothing but review. Keona's amazing preschool teacher really covered A LOT last year. In fact, I have decided to skip a few lessons rather than making him sit there doing things he's already mastered. Truthfully, my "schooly" side has a difficult time doing that. LOL However, I think I'll survive and Keona will have something to chew on.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

We have the Bob books too and Sophie LOVES them. And we just today started with Phonics Pathways but that is mostly because of my lack of phonics skills!